Sunday, August 01, 2004

IT still isnt science

Sometimes these things happen to even hard core techies like myself, actually they are probably more likely to happen to techies because we make assumptions and take things for granted.

I did some work on a Unix box ( setting up a test harness ), to back up that work I ftp'd a tar.bz2 to my windows notebook.

Guess what happened, the app dir I placed my code under on the Unix box was deleted as part of an app re-install ( why not tar.bz2 the old app I dunno ) and in parallel with that something wierd happend on my notebook which resulted in numerous files being deleted, including the tar.bz2 backup.

How unlikely!

Pissed off I was, I still dont know exactly what happened, something around JMeter using 100% CPU, a native windows Java IDE and/or malicous co-workers deleted the files and I had not a backup in sight.

Despite having a DVD burner and numerous usb2 hdd's around.

Stoopid!







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home